Friday 11 September 2009

Nephew knitting

Something that we are all VERY much looking forward to around here is the arrival, this autumn, of two new nephews in the family. My brother and his wife are expecting their third baby later this month and G's brother and his wife are expecting their first baby around Christmas time.

There are so many things that I want to sew and knit for these two new nephews. I always think that boys get something of a raw deal when it comes to pretty or hand crafted gifts. Gifts, toys and especially clothes for small boys tend to be a little bit too functional and in depressingly drab colours. But little boys like soft, bright, tactile, colourful things just as much as little girls do (and so do their parents!).

So I am knitting the first of two Baby Kicking Bags at the moment. This one is made in a Kaffe Fassett Regia sock yarn in a madly vivid peacock blue/green shade (that I can't do justice to with my camera). SouleMama made one of these last year, and I have been looking for an excuse (baby) to knit one for ever since.

The pattern is free on Ravelry. It has a little bit of very simple cabling in the rib, and after that is just stocking stitch all the way. Very easy and satisfying.


And look! There is plenty more bright sock yarn and baby cashmerino in my wool basket so there will be a Baby Kicking Bag for my other nephew and I think some little hats and bootees for both of them as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love the name - Baby kicking bag! - almost as much as I love the cabling. Cabled ribbing, oooooooh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, boys do seem to come off worse. But clealy not your nephews to be!

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.