Tuesday 12 July 2011

Emotionally charged sewing

I'm not someone who has always had a dream of what her wedding day would be like.  I never drew pictures of wedding dresses when I was a child (unlike my own daughter...) and I've never hankered after the fuss and attention of a wedding.

Our plans for this summer are to have a marriage without a wedding.  So there will be no fancy car, no wedding cake, no official photographer, no honeymoon, no disco, no hen party and no floral arrangements.  Just G and me at the local 'mairie' for a 5 minute civil ceremony, with our parents and our children, and then out for a long lunch and a few kir royales.

And yet...despite this much wished for simplicity and minimalism, there is still The Dress.  I am making my own and I've come to realise over the past few weeks that I have been avoiding starting it.  I've done plenty of knitting, read several books, been baking up a storm and was diverted for several weeks by an Important Sewing Project for my sister-in-law's birthday.  All this to avoid embarking on an item of clothing so loaded with emotion and meaning as to almost have a personality of its own.

Everybody remembers The Dress.  I can remember all the dresses from pretty much every wedding I've ever been to.  I can picture my Mum's dress so clearly just from years of seeing the black and white photo, sitting on top of the piano, of her and Dad's wedding day.  The Dress is charged with sentiment and emotion.  I will remember this dress for the rest of my life, and people might see pictures of me wearing it long after I am gone.

So yes.  Denial has suited me just fine for the last couple of months.

But we leave for France in a matter of weeks, so I'm running out of time.  I have calmed myself down and decided that it is just like making any other item of clothing.  I cut, pin, sew seams, iron on interfacing, embroider and hem.  I've done all this before and if I stop being so dramatic and emotional I can do it again.

Wedding dress construction

Wedding dress construction

Cutting up vintage silk for wedding dress sash

So it is underway.  I tell myself I am making a simple Colette wrap dress from embroidered cotton and silk, that will be worn to a wedding this summer.  If I don't like how it turns out I've still got time to call this a practise version and make myself another one.  I'm not sure my nerves would cope well with that though so I'm being as careful and precise as I can without getting too overwrought.

14 comments:

  1. And it will be lovely & you will be a beautiful bride :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. it already looks like it will be beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations with your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll be fine. It'll be beautiful. I just know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smile as you make it. I think it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be wonderful. And you will be stunning. And we'll ooh and aah over your pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress will be gorgeous. I know you can do it!

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too, think it will be beautiful. And you will always remember how beautiful it made you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a lovely dress. And to make your own wedding dress is a really nice thing to do. Looking forward to read about the process and see the final result

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's going to be FINE. You know that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure you will look gorgeous and it will be wonderful. My wedding dress was oyster coloured polyester with a nylon lace trim! Years later my husband said he was 'disappointed' when he saw me! We have still managed to be married for 23 years though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dress will be beautiful, as you will be, too! Small, intimate ceremonies, I think, are so lovely and meaningful. Look so forward to hearing about it and seeing photos. The location you picked sounds perfect!

    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like the right way to approach it, and take it slowly. I love the fabric label you have on your scissors, what a good idea! I once scared Jon by screaming at him when he picked up my sewing scissors to cut paper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful looking dress - I'm sure yours will turn out to be perfect! Lucy x

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.