Friday 27 January 2012

The view from here

It is the time of year where I buy a bunch of daffodils every time I happen to be anywhere near a supermarket.  These ones from Waitrose are glorious - a fluffy cloud of yellow sunshine on the mantelpiece for only £1.99.

January daffodils

I have come to realise that if I don't take photographs, I don't write blog posts.  I've been cooking, knitting, writing, stitching, thinking and planning a great deal over the last few weeks, but not blogging about it. I've stayed around the house, and the house is dark, so I've not been taking photos.  But in a way this suits January, which I love for its quietness, wintriness and sense of hibernation.  I'm happy to have some daffs on the mantelpiece and a hot cup of coffee on my desk.  I'll be out in the world again soon enough.

Daffs on the mantelpiece

So from my desk, my kitchen, and my computer, this is what I've been doing lately.

  • Loving this panoramic photo, taken from London's newest skyscraper, The Shard: http://www.willpearson.co.uk/virtual-tour/shard-360-dusk/ 
  • Adoring this blog post from the awesome and talented Teen Granny.  If my daughter ever knits a model of me, I will burst with pride.
  • Thinking of a great group of women I met twelve years ago this week.  Some of them are amongst my very closest friends, and two of them have lovely blogs.  I just wish I still lived close enough to Nina that I could pop round for a coffee and eat some of her cakes!
  • Cooking in my slow cooker (and not photographing the results). 
  • On Tuesday I made lemon chicken: a whole chicken sat on a bed of chopped carrot, onion, fennel, rosemary and garlic, with a whole lemon chopped into chunks tucked underneath too.  150 ml of chicken stock poured over and left on low for about 6-7 hours.  Then chicken removed and the meat pulled off the bone.  We ate the veg, half the chicken and the lemony sauce with rice and peas.  The other half of the chicken will become a pie.
  • Yesterday I made Indian potatoes: about 6 big potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice, along with an onion, a tin of tomatoes, a spoonful of curry paste, a spoonful of mango chutney and 100ml of vegetable stock.  Cooked on low for about 5 hours, and then stirred in 100ml of double cream before serving with naan bread, cucumber and yogurt.
  • Putting all the postcards we've received this year into a tin, so that in December I can make one of these.
  • Loving these two new London food blogs - The Skint Foodie and The London Review of Sandwiches.
And in between, gazing at the daffodils again.

Daffs and cards on the mantelpiece

6 comments:

  1. I very nearly bought a bunch of Daff's today and seeing yours I wished I had now! Lemon Chicken sounds wonderful. I can't believe it's been 12 years since we first met and to think, I almost didn't go! I only went to support H! So glad I did now x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems in the 5 months since I posted my last blog entry I haven't taken a single picture. Not good. Must do something about that.

    Looking forward to following the review of sandwiches! You know how I love a sandwich--and one isn't always near the Nordic Bakery when in London.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the daffs! my blog posts are very driven by my photography or not too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about taling photographs, when I post I always start with the photographs and this dark January I have stayed very quiet.
    The panoramic photo is brilliant, now if I could just take pictures like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daffodils and mantle are both beautiful, thanks for sharing!

    I'm with you on the photos - no pics no posts. I need to get back into the clicking habit now that January is nearly sorted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really are a ray of sunshine your daffs. My year of only picking flowers from the garden or the hedgerow has got harder with the appearance of all these spring blooms!

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.