Wednesday 27 June 2012

A kimono for my niece

I have another new niece on the way.  It is The Year of New Nieces, because Miss A arrived in early February, and Miss M is due any day now.

I've been thinking for a while about what to make her.  A June or July baby doesn't really need a kicking bag like a winter baby does, and I also had an urge to make something I hadn't done before.  Eventually I decided that what every summer-born baby girl needs is a floral, lace-trimmed kimono.

Baby McCarthy's floral lace kimono

The pattern is from Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross - a book that is certainly the most used of my many sewing books.  I added vintage lace, which was given to me by my grandmother, as an additional trim onto the bottom.  I like the idea of passing a little bit of lace trim down to a fourth generation.

All I need now is the baby, and some greedy-Auntie cuddles with her.  I can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Ah how cute!! I had no idea you were expecting ANOTHER niece!! You'll have as many nieces & nephews as me soon!! What a gorgeous gift :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so pretty and perfect for a summer baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely present! My summer baby would have been adorable in this. She still would be if I scaled it up and paired it with leggings but I bet she wouldn't wear it!

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.