Tuesday 13 January 2015

All change

It's all change for the New Year around here:
  • I'm working. 
  • The car only gets used once or twice a week, now that we no longer have a school run to do. 
  • I'm earning money. 
  • After a very late night out and a slow bus ride home, I awoke at 9:30am to find that Cam had unloaded the dishwasher, made a big pot of coffee and was frying bacon for breakfast sandwiches for everyone. 
  • I no longer travel to work by tube.
  • We are going to go to Switzerland for our summer holiday this year.
  • I'm wearing bright blue scrubs at work, and a name badge that says 'Staff Nurse'.
  • There is a hipster-run new bistro in our local neighbourhood.
I absolutely love this time of year: the crisp cold, the white skies, the sense of clarity and energy after the velvet-luxury, over-indulgent, laziness of Christmas.  It makes me want to run, to clean, to sing, and to organise.  Starting a new job fits perfectly with this vibe.  In the dark early mornings I warm myself up with one of the (many) hats I knit over Christmas and walk briskly up the hill to work, marvelling at how much I enjoy this new life I've chosen.  On my days off I make plans and lists: where to walk next, what I need to learn next for work, what I'm going to buy with my first month's salary (a new printer, most likely), what my sewing plans are for this year, and which bag I don't need to buy in the Cath Kidston sale.

There's still cake though.  There's always cake.

Lemon and blueberry cake
Lemon and blueberry syrup loaf

6 comments:

  1. That all sounds great, I always view this time of year quite negatively but you've inspired me to think differently, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your wonderfully uplifting post, it inspired me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it all sounds wonderful. especially the cake x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, I'm loving that January energy too, long may it last. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely boy. Sometimes we wake up to one of our lads making pancakes for everyone. (It gives me a brief smug feeling of My Work Here is Done).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and interesting blog. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful. Now, If you are looking for Assignment Help, then visit our website No1AssignmentHelp.Com.

    ReplyDelete

Even though I often do not have the time to reply to everybody, I really appreciate all your comments so much - thank you for taking the time to read my blog and share your thoughts on what I've written.